Ristabilire la continuità dei corridoi acquatici del VCO, più precisamente del Fiume Toce, per circa 60 Km dalla foce in lago a risalire, e del Torrente San Bernardino, nel suo tratto di foce
Realizzare un incubatoio di proprietà pubblica finalizzato ad azioni di conservazione delle specie target di progetto
Conservazione delle specie native
Migliorare lo stato di conservazione delle popolazioni delle specie ittiche di interesse europeo: Trota marmorata, Pigo, Savetta, Scazzone e Vairone
Conservazione del gambero d'acqua dolce
Favorire la conservazione a lungo termine della specie con nuove colonie
Lotta alle specie esotiche invasive
Ridurre e controllare la diffusione di specie esotiche invasive (siluro, pesce gatto, acerina, persico sole, carassio, salmonidi esotici)
IdroLIFE has as objective to produce a significant improvement of the status of aquatic species (Ann. II Habitat Directive) in Natura 2000 sites of Verbano Cusio Ossola, through concrete interventions of conservation and improvement of the blue corridors of Toce and San Bernardino rivers.
Improvement will be from the faunal point of view (production of juveniles of protected species, repopulation in stretches hosting target species in bad status, control of alien species), from the environmental point of view (defragmentation of Toce and San Bernardino River), from the planning point of view (adoption of a conservation plan at provinciallevel), from the point of view of the control and management of alien species.
Specific objectives of IdroLIFE are:
- restore the blue corridor of Toce river, through the restoration of its continuity from Lake Maggiore until the first impassable obstacle, with 6 interruptions tackled, for a length of about 45 Km;
- restore the blue corridor of San Bernardino stream, through the restoration of its continuity from Lake Maggiore until SCI Val Grande, with 1 obstacle tackled, for a length of about 8,5 Km;
- realize an hatchery of public property dedicated to conservation actions targeting fish species (production target 40000 ind/y of Salmo marmoratus, 500 ind/y Cottus gobio, 2500 ind/y of Rutilus pigus and Chondrostoma soetta);
- improve the conservation status of Salmo marmoratus population in SPA IT1140017 “Toce River”;
- improve the conservation status of Rutilus pigus and Chondrostoma soetta populations in SPA IT1140013 “Lago di Mergozzo and Mont’Orfano”;
- improve the conservation status of Cottus gobio and Telestes souffia in the SCI IT1140011 “Val Grande” (Val Grande National Park);
- improve the conservation status and distribution of Austropotamobius pallipes in the SCI IT1140011 Val Grande (Val Grande National Park), through establishment of new colonies in 4 suitable areas;
- reduce and control the spread of alien invasive species in Natura 2000 Sites of Verbano Cusio Ossola Province;
- design, share among partners and stakeholders and adopt a legislation framework for the conservation of the targeted species at provincial level including Natura 2000 Sites;
- stimulate the awareness for biodiversity conservation among citizens and different stakeholders;
- carry on environmental education activities, through the involvement of children, young people and adults, the realization of an educational movie and the creation of a smart phone application for school teaching.
IdroLIFE is divided into a number of actions, which follow the pattern and suggested coding by the Life Program:
- Preparatory Actions “A”. They are preliminary and necessary actions for the preparation of management plans and intervention.
- Concrete Conservation Actions “C”. They are the direct actions and intervention of conservation.
- Actions “D” – Monitoring of the impact of the project actions. These actions aim at measuring the success and the impact of the project.
- Actions “E” – Monitoring of the impact of the project actions. LIFE projects give much importance to the awareness of citizens to the proposed themes as well as the aspects of education and experience gained in the project transferability.
- Actions “F” – Project management. They are actions that involve coordination and management of the project.
Here below the project action are briefly presented. If you’re interested on this project, please subscribe our newletter, or follow us on Facebook, or contact us by e-mail!
IdroLIFE includes 3 preparation actions A:
- Action A1 ensures adequate preparation of administrative procedures to the project starting;
- Action A.2 provides the collection of scientific data necessary for the schedules of the concrete conservation actions;
- Action A.3 provides the preparation of administrative procedures and the detailed design of interventions defragmentation (Action A.3).
The conservation actions are:
- Action C.1 -recovery of a local hatchery dedicated to the project actions and conservation activities in Natura 2000 sites of the VCO;
- Action C.2 – repopulation of the VCO waters with specimens of Marble trout, Bullhead, Italian Riffle Dace and Crayfish;
- Action C.3 – Starting a pilot activity of artificial reproduction and breeding of Pigo and Savetta to be reintroduced in Lake Mergozzo;
- Action C.4 – construction / arrangement of five fish passes on River Toce and 1 on the Torrente San Bernardino to restore river connectivity;
- Action C.5 – control of invasive alien species in the project sites using selective techniques;
- Action C.6 – drafting and adoption of a Provincial Plan of Conservation of the target species.
The monitoring actions include:
- Actions D.1, D.2, D.3 to monitor di ongoing and the results of conservation actions;
- Action D.4, to monitor the impact on the socio-economic sector;
- Action D.5, which focuses the project impact on ecosystem services.
Communication and raising awareness is a subject of special interest for IdroLIFE project, which includes two big communication actions:
- Action E.1 – focuses on the awareness of citizens to the proposed themes. The dissemination activities will sensitize citizens and stakeholders about the importance of maintaining aquatic biodiversity, focusing on communication (website, media, logo, etc.);
- Action E.2 – concerns the aspects of education (of both children and adults) and experience gained in the project transferability.
Le azioni F di gestione e coordinamento del progetto comprendono non solo attività di coordinamento dei partner tra loro e con l’Unione Europea, che finanzia il progetto, ma anche attività di programmazione dell’azione futura, da realizzarsi oltre il termine del progetto IdroLIFE, per assicurarne la continuità ed un efficacia sul lungo periodo.
The actions’ work in progress
The expected results of the project can be summarised as follows.:
- Toce River defragmentation for a stretch of about 60 Km, from Lake Maggiore upstream to the first natural barrier, mitigating 5 artificial interruptions.
- Toce River restocking with at least 80.000 marble trout specimens.
- Repopulation of Toce River SPA IT1140017 with at least 80000 individuals of Salmo marmoratus.
- De-fragmentation of San Bernardino river from Lake Maggiore to SCI IT1140011 Val Grande with 1
- Realization of an hatchery of public property dedicated to conservation actions targeting fish species
(production target 40000 ind/y of Salmo Marmoratus, 500 ind/y Cottus gobio, 2500 ind/y of Rutilus
pigus and Chondrostoma soetta).
- Repopulation with at least 1000 specimens of Cottus gobio and Leuciscus souffia in SCI IT1140011 Val
- Repopulation with at least 5000 specimens of Rutilus pigus and Chondrostoma soetta populations in
SPA IT1140013 Lago di Mergozzo and Mont’Orfano.
- Establishment of new colonies of crayfish Austropotamobius pallipes in 4 suitable areas inside the SCI
IT1140011 Val Grande (500 ind.)
- Reduce of at least 60% the density of alien species (Silurus glanis, Ameiurus melas, Gymnocephalus
cernuus, Lepomis gibbosus, Carassius carassius and exotic Salmonids) in the project sites.
- Realization and adoption of a conservation plan for the species targeted by IdroLIFE in Natura 2000
Sites of Verbano Cusio Ossola including specific measures to avoid the spread of alien species.
- Participation of about 1500 children to the project actions.
- Participation of about 1000 adults to the project actions.
- Production of 1 educational movie, 1 smartphone application for Kids.
The doors to w.w.web opened for Life-Nature Project IdroLIFE The Life-Nature project IdroLIFE, LIFE15 NAT/IT/000823, started on November 2016 and carried out by a special partnership, including CNR-ISE, VCO Province, Val Grande National Park and GRAIA srl, shows up [...]
On 17th March 2017 a new blue highway was launched at Enel Green Power’s Isola Serafini plant near Monticelli d'Ongina (Piacenza). The passage was completed after 2 years of works, within the Life-Nature project Con.Flu.Po (Progetto [...]